Cantrell Eyes Demolition of Six Flags Site

by • June 4, 2019 • NewsComments (0)1072

Last week, at a press conference for the demolition of the Grand Theater in New Orleans East, Mayor Cantrell announced her intention to demolish the abandoned six flags site.

“Right now, I have my sights on the Six Flags site, which we are now running numbers for demolition as I speak,” said Cantrell, according to WWLTV.

The park has remained blighted and vacant since Katrina decimated the park grounds. Over the years, it has been subject to idea after idea, proposal after proposal, and infighting between the City of New Orleans and the Industrial Development Board over who was responsible for security and maintenance.

The city most recently issued an RFP and ran a process for redevelopment ideas in 2014. That effort revealed some wild ideas, all of which fell through.

Cantrell said she wants to demolish the site, as does District E City Councilwoman Cyndi Nguyen. They are apparently waiting for a study to be concluded before making decisions. Stay tuned for updates, we hear that the study should be public in a few weeks.

Pin It

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *