The historic Jung Hotel is almost back in action after years of vacancy and neglect. The original hotel opened in 1907 and was designed by renowned architect firm Weiss and Dreyfus. The hotel’s heyday lasted into the late 1960’s, and for many years was one of “the” hotels in the city. At one time, it was labeled as the largest convention hotel in the South
From 1971 through 2012, the hotel was primarily vacant, and presented an abandoned eyesore along Canal Street. Developer Joe Jaeger purchased the building in 2012 and started planning for its comeback (Video of construction underway here).
The newly renovated mixed-used development at 1500 Canal Street will officially open December 1, 2017 after a $140 million redevelopment by MCC Development, Jaeger’s firm.
The new project incorporates a hotel, residences, retail, parking and other amenities. The property features 207 luxury guest rooms, over 21,000 square feet of meeting space with 15 rooms, and a 12,000 square foot exhibition hall.
A rooftop poolside bar and full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, a trendy coffee shop, with lite snacks and fresh brewed local blends are also included. The developers also build a business center, an upscale, poolside spa, and more than 10,000 square feet of retail.
The residences include 113 one and two bedroom apartments, with rooftop pool, hotel services including laundry, maid and room service available, and a 357 car parking garage.
John Williams is the architect for the entire exterior, Trahan is the architect who handled the interior, the The Mcdonnel Group is the general contractor, and the New Orleans Hotel Collection is the operator.
The pictures look incredible, check them out below!