New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity is proposing an approximately $12 million mixed-use real estate development in the Bywater.
Plans include multi-family and single family homes on a 1.8 acre tract of land right in front of The Joint restaurant.
Habitat’s plan is a a response to an RFP HANO put out in the end of 2013. That request for proposal offered the area for sale for development of affordable housing on the land bounded by Royal, France, Chartres and Mazant streets.
Five bidders submitted proposals, but Habitat is the only one that made its plans public.
Habitat’s bid is for $1.8 million and would include:
- 60 residential rental units, made up of lofts, one, two and three bed room rentals
- 21 reserved for low income tenants
- 39 for market rate tenants
- 2 commercial units fronting Chartres Street
- 2,100-square-foot landscaed green space with trees and an herb garden
- None of the buildings would be more than 2 stories high and would not exceed the current 50 foot height limit
There were four other bidders for property, with bids as follows:
Columbia Residential LLC of Atlanta, Ga., which bid $1.18 million;
IDP Housing of Valdosta, Ga., with a $1.6 million bid;
Chartres Street Station of New Orleans, $925,000;
Neville Development LLC of Metairie, $630,000.