The old Ambassador hotel, under new ownership of Provenance Hotels and GB Lodging, has officially reopened as the The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery after a $14 million renovation.
The owners bought the hotel at Tchoupitoulas and Lafayette streets last year from hotelier Warren Reuther. The property underwent a full renovation, including an expansion to 167 rooms, and a brand new restaurant by Top Chef alum Nina Compton.
Built in 1854 in the heart of New Orleans’ bustling port district, the building served a coffee warehouse before being purchased by E.J. Hart & Company who operated a chandlery, or general wholesale business, trading in everything sailing ships needed to stock their voyages – from canvas and rope to paper, tobacco and patent medicines. Prior to the turn of the 20th century when New Orleans renumbered its street addresses, the building’s address was 77 Tchoupitoulas Street.
Check out our past coverage of the hotel here and here, as well as coverage from our friends at Curbed.