We’ve all been to a wedding or cocktail party in the heart of the Warehouse District’s well known venue, the Foundry.
Now the Foundry’s 13,000 square foot venue will undergo renovations that will improve the interior, spruce up the place, and add a third floor.
The Foundry’s venue is used for weddings, receptions, parties, seated dinners, and business meetings for up to 1,000 people.
The site of The Foundry dates back to 1719. Governor Bienville, one of the founders of this area, owned the land originally. He then sold the property to the Order of the Jesuits, who owned the property from 1726-1763. That year new owner Marie Saulier Duplesis bought the land for the construction of a plantation and outbuildings. The property, with its plantation structures had several owners until 1831 when Louise Poeyferre sold off lots on the land for the construction of small buildings.
1859-1881 lent the “Foundry” property to become a small brewery operated by the Fasnacht Brothers. In 1881 new owners, the Maginnis family had the plantation house torn down for the erection of the first cotton mill on this site. It remained a cotton mill until 1894, when the property was sold to George Pratt for the construction of Citizen’s Bank. In 1947, the site became home to the first of several glass companies. The property was sold in 1985 to a machine manufacturing company. In 2001 the former plantation site became the new home of Bella Luna Catering, “The Foundry.”
Images of the renovation plans below: