So, you’ve decided to move and have signed the lease for your new offices. You and your team are excited, but somewhat apprehensive because move-in day is looming.
What can you do to ease the pain? When you hire a tenant rep agent at Corporate Realty, we not only help you find space and negotiate a lease, but we can help guide you through the process all the way until you move in.
Here are some suggestions for a smooth office relocation:
- Make sure Building Management personnel have dedicated a freight elevator for your exclusive use, at hours convenient to you,
- Inform IT consultants/personnel of the impending move-in date/time in order to expedite installation of needed equipment and software,
- The relocation is a team effort. Designate a person (or people) as the Relocation Team to encourage cooperation, teamwork, and fun. Provide t-shirts with the move-in date or new address to create an atmosphere of pulling together,
- Provide refreshments to the Team, particularly if over a full day, or late evening,
- Designate one person as the decision-maker for the day, making sure the movers are not delayed waiting for the usual decision-maker to be found,
- Have someone on-site to oversee deliveries – this will prevent finger-pointing, and possibly missing a critical delivery,
- If possible, schedule your company’s workload and commitment deadlines to accommodate the interruption of the move to avoid additional stress, and
- Create a positive atmosphere around the relocation, including press releases, blog posts, etc. to emphasize the positive energy that comes with fresh, new surroundings!
This post by Donna Whalen Little was originally posted on the Corporate Realty Blog where Corporate Realty regularly posts about commercial real estate news and tips.