by CSB Staff •
August 26, 2014 •
Acquisitions, Architecture & Design, Central Business District •
Comments (0) •
1000 St. Charles Avenue is now the permanent headquarters of AIA New Orleans
The American Institute of Architects New Orleans chapter has purchased its local head quarters it had been renting on Lee Circle.
According to CityBusiness, the organization paid $530,000 for the 2,200-square-foot space on the ground floor of 1000 St. Charles Ave., which it has leased since 2010. The AIA bought the property from 1000 St. Charles LLC, which lists Judy Oudt, Keith Bourgeois and Karen Bourgeois Solomon as its officers.
AIA moved into the building in 2010 after spending years looking for a permanent home.
The organization invested $335,000 into improvements at the space, which it occupied rent free. Over the past couple years, monthly rent has jumped from $2,500 per month to $4,400 per month with a $1,000 condo fee.
The AIA often offers the space out for small parties and receptions, as well as for exhibitions by local architectural firms. Affiliate groups such as the Downtown Development District, the Urban Land Institute and the Convention and Visitors Bureau also use the space for meetings and functions.
The AIA wants the space to grow into a focal point for design in New Orleans. The group wants to eventually have something that compares to the Center for Design sites in Chicago and New York, where they offer a full service “mini museum” for architecture.
A component of the American Institute of Architects, AIA New Orleans was founded in 1911 to represent, educate and serve the architecture profession and entire community as concerns the built environment.